Thursday, January 6, 2011

Why "a gentle moment"

I don't think I'm very good at naming things (or people for that matter, but that's another story!) Naming my blog was/is difficult. While a name IS just a name and not the thing itself, it does feel like the name should be reflective in some way of the mission of the blog. And so then, what IS the mission of this blog? I have a few blogs that I really enjoy very much. They matter to me, inspire me, give me good ideas, and help keep me grounded. I want to contribute more actively in that "world" - this world of blogging and commenting, offering as well as receiving. So perhaps that is the inspiration... Now what to actually blog about??? How to blog??? It's been a while since I've written on any regular basis so I am finding myself a bit rusty. The mechanics of blogging I am finding to be very humbling. The blank post-page staring back at me ... where, oh where is my voice? Ironically as I write this my little one recovers from croup and me, from grown up croup, otherwise known as laryngitis. As I dig in a bit, I remember how to craft a writing. So, I hope to discover, and rediscover, my voice.
So why "a gentle moment?" I meditate, and what meditation has taught me is gentleness. After many, many years of being my own most harsh critic, gentleness is my strongly preferred way of treating myself, my loved ones, my world. And my blog. Whatever I choose to write about in this space: mommyhood, knitting, cooking, sustainability, poetry, philosophy, ups, downs, my intention is to infuse it with gentleness. I hope that it illuminates for me the places and moments in which I am not gentle so that I may continue to become gentle and compassionate.

No comments:

Post a Comment