Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ten on Tuesday - Favorite games from childhood

This ten on Tuesday's topic is "Favorite Games from Childhood." I hope I can think of ten!! It's certainly been a while since I've thought of my childhood games. I remember absolutely loving everything make-believe. Play acting was my favorite. Jungle-gym spaceships, house, doctor, school, farmer, circus ... Perhaps these individually are my ten? My sisters and I had wonderful times putting on shows, sometimes getting so elaborate as to "sell" tickets and corral a (captive) audience. Another favorite was playing restaurant. We would "serve" my parents dinner, complete with candles for ambience. 
I also loved to read - would read anything I could get my hands on, books, maps, cereal boxes, you name it.
I wish I could say that I loved to draw, loved creating. But now that I am thinking about it, I don't really have any memories of that .... hmmmmm. I remember bringing home art projects with the teacher's writing on it but not feeling very attached to it or connected to it.
I used to love exploring outside, collecting bugs (much to my mother's dismay) and plants and flowers and berries. I got a microscope when I was seven I think and loved that!
Swinging. swing not necessariy required.
Climbing and sitting in trees.
Animals and petting zoos were a huge favorite. We frequented the Catskill Game Farm.
Bike riding, ahhh, freedom and speed!
Collecting things: pinecones, erasers, paperclips, stickers, bottles.
Hiding, pretending I was very small (pretending not really required for that), like elf-size, and building little forts.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! So many fun games come out of just plain, good old-fashioned play!

    ReplyDelete